Saturday, August 18, 2007

Inspire Me Thursday - watercolors


I came across "Inspire Me Thursday" today and just had to post one of my watercolor sketches from Venice. Ok, I cheated a little by using something I had done 8 years ago (wow, has it been that long?)! Anyways, the little painting is of a typical little courtyard in Giudecca, Corte dei Cordami, where I wandered into after meandering through a maze of Giudecca's streets. It was a hot September afternoon, no one in sight except for the laundry line flapping in the wind.



The plan of the Corte dei Cordami is illustrated above, and the little watercolor sketch to the left was my attempt at capturing the tactile qualities of the surrounding walls of the streets. I wish to go back there again someday....

15 comments:

Patricia J. Mosca said...

all I can say is BEAUTIFUL and I want to go there and see it for myself!!!

Deb G said...

These are sweet. I have watercolor sketches I did in Venice too :)

Lina said...

Very nice, i love the softness of it...wish i was there right now.

Julia said...

Just great !!

Leah said...

lovely!

i was also in venice doing some watercolors about eight years ago and i can't believe it's been that long either!

Cheryl said...

Wow, these are beautiful! I love watercolor sketches -- there's something about the simplicity, the almost "incompleteness," that is so appealing.

Valaine said...

Simply beautiful :)

carla said...

This really has the feeling of long ago and far away, and there is also the real sense of a hot afternoon when people are inside. Beautiful!

megan said...

such a beautiful way to capture a memory...has the feel of a soft & quite afternoon.

Pilar said...

I love these! Did you keep a travel journal when you were abroad? The pages are really wonderful. You can almost smell the air and hear the sounds of the landscape.

Royce Addington said...

What can I add to all these perfect comments!?! When I clicked on...my first thought was Europe! Your work has a timeless quality...the kind that makes you giddy...the feeling compares to when I discover a beautiful print like this tucked into the corner of a romantic antique shop!

Laura said...

Love travel journals - this is so lovely with just the right washes of color - I can see why you want to go back there :) Thanks for sharing.

Marie said...

Thank you for all the wonderfully encouraging comments! I did have a travel art journal from Venice when I was there for school. I will try and post them when I can. Thank you again!

Unknown said...

gorgeous! love the soft colors

gaby braun said...

Really nice! I love sketches made from towns!