Friday, August 24, 2007

Studio Friday #1 - summer afternoons

What does a "summer afternoon" mean or feel like to you....?

A summer afternoon feels like warm layers of long hair on the back of your neck which you try to pull away so you run to stir the air, to awaken the breeze that starts to feel cool on the back of your neck.

This hat with the long orange and yellow streamers sits on top of my easel. My husband bought it years ago in Italy during the summer, and he recalls wearing it, like any tourist would, one hot afternoon, when the sun blinded him. He remembers those orange and yellow streamers sticking to the back of his neck and all he could think of was just running to get the streamers off his neck. Why didn't you just take the silly hat off, I asked. I don't know, he said. He couldn't remember why.

So now my kids take turns wearing it, running out to the afternoon sun with sun-kissed red cheeks, orange and yellow streamers trailing off behind them, not caring whether the streamers stick to the backs of their necks or not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that image...and the feeling it evokes of long hair on you neck and back.

Jana said...

What a cool summer memory & wild looking hat!

lee said...

love the hat and the streamers, that truly reminds me of a summer.

Stacia said...

A magical hat full of inspiration, I'll bet!

megan said...

the feeling of something sticking to the back of your neck in the summer heat...you captured it!